Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:47:55 CDT 2007

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
>> I doubt that, if they were to do that they are still more likely to go
>> the route of putting them in the system directory and doing a global
>> override because its easier.
>>

>>> I agree we probably won't loose much, but I'm not sure what we're going
>>> to win, apart from easier dll overrides.
>>>
>> 1. Fewer lousy bug reports because when the bug is reported it will be
>> more concise.
>>
> Reports of problems with a whole load of binary blobs loaded. Native DLLs CAN
> help, but do not have to. Like native DCOM. It sometimes helps, but it can
> also do undocumented and unimplemented operations.
>
> Often native dlls instead of builtin ones cause problems.

How can knowing off the bat which dlls are overridden be a problem.  I
would rather see a bug report that says this "program works when I
override commctrl.dll but not with built in" than "This program does not
work  please help". Of course  we can have  problems with mixing native
versions with built in but we can get that now anyway. The most often
situation is that these programs have a single dll that would be used
instead of built in.

--

Tony Lambregts