Windows dll as Linux Shared Object

Phil Lodwick Phil.Lodwick at EFI.COM
Wed Apr 11 16:45:46 CDT 2007

Greetings,

My googling skills are letting me down today.   I believe I have seen several
people requesting to do the same and answers indicating it is possible.
However, after several hours of reading email archives from 2000-2007 are am
officially confused :-(

I have successfully ported an application using winelib.  However, what I
really want to do is port a DLL to an SO which I can use natively from a
Linux application.

I believe this is something that can be done with winemaker/winebuild etc if
I just get the recipe right -- correct?

ie:

WindowsDLL.cpp

int AndTheAnswerIs()
{
  Return 42;
}

WindowsDLL.def

EXPORTS:
	AndTheAnswerIs

Use winemaker/winebuild to create WindowsDLL.dll.so

Linux.cpp:

main()
{
  printf("AndTheAnswerIs: %d\n", AndTheAnswerIs());
}

g++ linux.cpp -lWindowsDLL

Is this possible, or am I missing something?

Thanks much!

Phil