How come individual applications can't be put on a virtual desktop in winecfg?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Apr 11 18:16:37 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 22:35 +0200, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:14 +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:
> >> 	Very simple. Run your application like this:
> >>
> >> wine explorer /desktop=MyDesktopName,640x480 myprogram.exe
> >>

> > So why doesn't winecfg let me do this?  ;)
>
> Because it wouldn't do what you want, since an app inherits the
> desktop of its parent; so the behavior has to be dependent on how you
> launch the app, not on the exe name.

When Wine detects that it's about to launch an app with special
configurations set in winecfg, why can't it launch a new desktop as
though we were calling an entirely new Wine instance?

Alternatively, perhaps winecfg should be able to intelligently create
and modify launchers for the start menu using its special overrides.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie