Ubuntu packages for wine-0.9.35 are broken

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 04:47:41 CDT 2007

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 13:08 -0600, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>
>> I'm getting number of reports on #winehq as well as in bugzilla about
>> new Ubuntu packages for 0.9.35 having problems with displaying text and
>> mouse cursor. It appears there were some problems with xrandr during
>> compiling them.
>>
>> Scott could you take a look at this and fix them as soon as you can? Or
>> at least remove broken packages from the repository?
>>
>> Vitaliy.
>>

> The only change between this package and the previous one (0.9.34) was
> that I removed libarts1-dev as a build dependency.  I'm using the same
> machine, build environment, and everything.  If there's a problem, it's
> likely a Wine one.
>
> I would venture to guess that the reason there seem to be so many Ubuntu
> problems is because we have so many Ubuntu users - as noted earlier,
> though, SuSE seems to have brokenness as well.
>
> I did notice after running Winecfg something unexpected happened: it
> started profiling the fonts all over again like it was the first time I
> had run it.  Something must have changed in this new version, and it
> might have broken older installs.
>
> Does that help narrow it down?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

I've tried 0.9.34 on a second suse 9.3 system ( identical system, same
distro level ) and notepad works correctly. There is one difference
between the two systems, the one that doesn't work has the
c:\windows\fonts\ directory popoulated with windows truetype fonts and
the non working fonts, such as couri.fon ( not sure if I spelled that
correctly, but you get the idea ). However the system where notepad
works ... it's c:\windows\fonts\ directory has no font files in it what
so ever. Could wine be using these .fon fonts in c:\windows\fonts\ which
it then can't display correctly ?.

I'll remove the .fon files from c:\windows\fonts\ on the non working
system on Monday and see if that fixes notepad. Maybe something in wine
changed that affected it's ability to display .fon fonts ..

Nick