FAQ moved to Wiki

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Apr 16 02:00:50 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 21:33 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 15:52 -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> > I've pasted the content from the FAQ onto the wiki here:
> > http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
>
> I really don't think this is a good idea:
>   * it's going to be less usable on the Wiki AFAIK

Howso?  Most people read our documentation (especially when they have a
question to ask) by doing a websearch and poking around on our website.
Bundling the FAQ with Wine doesn't add too much to this.

>   * it's going to be fairly hard to edit since it is so big

It's going to be a LOT easier to edit on the wiki then in that horrid
monstrous SGML file.

>   * it changes so seldom that it may as well stay on the main site

It changes so seldom that about half of the entries are obsolete and
might even make users more confused after reading than before.

>   * we'll lose the other formats (.txt and .pdf)
>
> I think it needs more discussion before we do such a
> transition. If people agree to remove it, I can remove
> it from the docs/ package.

I brought this up on the list last month (I think), and no one objected
so I just went ahead and did it (after being lazy for a month).  Anyway,
we can talk about it now.  I'm gonna go ahead and edit the wiki page
(and include the new questions) in the meantime.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie