wine 0.9.30-35 Something strange happened with the fonts ?

Huw Davies huw at codeweavers.com
Tue Apr 17 06:49:54 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 01:03:03AM +0100, Nick Law wrote:

> Nick Law wrote:
> >Well, I don't quite know what happened there with the fonts, however
> >my fonts are now back working by deleting the contents of the fonts
> >folder c:\windows\fonts\ and simply copying in verdana.ttf +
> >bold+italics etc into this folder.
> >
> >The reason I had to copy verdana was because the application 'anno
> >domini' copies a font called broadway into  \windows\fonts\  then
> >another  application  'Virtual Mechanics Webengine' then uses the
> >broadway font for it's license dialogue box, presumably because that's
> >the only font present in c:\windows\fonts\ unless verdana is in
> >/windows/font/ directory then it uses that which looks an awful lot
> >more legible than the broadway font.
> >
> >So it seems to be working now, however I have a question.
> >
> >When you run notepad.exe and look at the fonts available, with an
> >empty windows\fonts\ directory notepad lists about 51 fonts, all of
> >which are truetype except 1. So why are these fonts not in
> >\windows\fonts\ where applications such as webengine can find them ?
> >
> >And how does fontforge figure in this equation, I assume it generates
> >the 51 fonts & then wine passes those fonts in some way. However won't
> >that cause a problem for applications that expect to find fonts
> >present in \windows\fonts ?
> >
> >Regards
> >Nick
> >
> I tied it down to a specific font sserief.fon 18,576 bytes (generated
> with fontforge ?) This being present in \windows\fonts causes the
> license & help dialogues text to be blank in the webengine application..
> while in notepad MS sans serif text is also blank. Another, much larger
> sserief.fon file (about 62Kbytes) was present in X11/truetype (which may
> have come from a windows system ?) was used instead which worked just
> fine in both notepad & webengine. So could fontforge be producing a bad
> sserief.fon file or .fon files that wine has trouble displaying ?. I
> checked back to  0.9.30  and  the md5  of the sserief.fon file is the
> same  as the file in  0.9.35. so the fon file hasn't changed so is it
> something in wine changed between version 0.9.30 &  35  ?
>
> Is it the case these .fon files should not be in /windows/fonts

We shouldn't be installing fonts into c:\windows\fonts.  They go into
/usr/share/wine/fonts where Wine should find them (or they'll be found
in the build tree if you're running straight from there).

fontforge earlier than about Jan 2006 does have some problems
generating the bitmap fonts, so that may be part of your problem.

Huw.
--
Huw Davies
huw at codeweavers.com