Why are some fonts being displayed incorrectly

Bill Medland billmedland at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 17 20:05:19 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-17-04 at 12:28 -0700, Bill Medland wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the correct direction for this?
>
> On one machine the text displays correctly.
> On the other the characters are totally wrong

setting WINEDEBUG to +font the one weird thing I note is that on the
machine where things are displayed wrong the call to ExtTextOutW
specifies ETO_GLYPH_INDEX but passes the actual string rather than an
array of glyphs, whereas on the machine where the text displays
correctly it is an array of glyphs that is passed in.

Strangely I cannot see anywhere where the string is converted to an
array of glyphs.  There is no corresponding call to GetGlyphIndices.

In fact when I now look I cannot see anywhere where get_glyph_index 0041
returns 36; it always returns 34, but the glyph array passed into
ExtTextOutW passes a 0x24 (36) ($) for A.

So, what don't I understand about glyphs etc and how do I find out why
one machine is not building a proper glyph array?

> Bill
Bill