wine 0.9.30-35 Something strange happened with the fonts ?

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 11:42:02 CDT 2007

Huw Davies wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 08:44:13AM +0100, Nick Law wrote:
>
>> yes, /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/ exists my system and is only populated
>> with two fonts, broadway.ttf and ad5font.fon. So all the fonts from the
>> build which include courier (fon) and serife don't get transferred to
>> either /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/ or anywhere in .wine, that explains
>> why serief, courier & system don't now show up on the font list when I
>> run notepad.
>>

> It's ${prefix}/share/wine/fonts where ${prefix} defaults to /usr/local
> and can be changed by running configure with the --prefix option.
> They get installed there where you run make install.  I've no idea
> where the broadway.ttf and ad5font.fon fonts come from, but they're
> certainly not from a Wine install.
>

>> Should I expect to find all the fonts that are in my build directory
>> /home/guest/downloads/wine/wine-0.9.35/fonts/ ie 108 files in
>> /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/ ? if so they don't appear to get copied in
>> the install (at least by version 0.9.35)
>>

> Well the 39 .fon fonts and marlett.ttf should be installed there.  You
> should try to work out why that's not happening.
>
> Huw.

Thanks Huw,

:-) , /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/ is a symbolic link to ......
/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/ ... lol
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2006-04-03 00:19 fonts ->
/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

Now I understand why there is nothing in /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/
... doing a 'make install' re populates /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/
which means because it's symbolically linked, the fonts all show up in
/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/.

So, notepad now shows the courier, small font, sans serief and system
fonts (all .fon files) in the list of fonts in notepad. All well and
good, however I still have the problem that if you select any of these
non true type fonts, ie courier, small font, sans serief and system
fonts you just get blank characters.

Now I need to figure out if the problem lies with fontforge or elsewhere
? ( I have a feeling it's elsewhere).

I would appreciate it if somebody could confirm that they can type
characters into notepad using the courier (non truetype font) on 0.9.35
and confirm the coure.fon md5 as ..

fac1cac04f5717b67e642ac8197f4c1d /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/coure.fon
4912 bytes

This would at least confirm whether the problem lies with fontforge on
my system or elsewhere.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Nick