gethostbyname(my_name) and IL2-Sturmovik CONTINUED

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Fri Apr 20 05:33:27 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 12:09:55PM +0200, Briareos wrote:

> My opinion is simple:
> To me it's logical that you get 127.0.0.1 when pinging your local hostname,
> but if windows does give the IP of your NIC then wine should do as well - as
> we want to reach compatibility.
>
> If, on the other hand, you say it's simply bad programming done by the
> app-developer if he tries to fetch the IP of the NIC that way, I'd say let's
> still comply to it, because its more likely than having a programmer
> expecting to get 127.0.0.1 when asking for "localhostname".

to my very (VERY!) limited knowledge of windows somebody told me in a
project (we aimed to write a proxy to make connections to a game
"secure") the principle of "binding to an address" is unknown to windows
- at least for the non-NT based branch. if this is true we should always
bind sockets to 0/0 regardless what the app tells us. i am sure some
windows/network gurus around can tell more.

--
cu