DirectX under Wine

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Apr 26 10:36:14 CDT 2007

Am Donnerstag 26 April 2007 12:28 schrieb Robert Fairlie:
> Hello,
>
> I am a contractor for a company in the UK. I have developed a 3D module for
> an oil reservoir visualisation program on Windows that is now required to
> run on Linux. The Wine port has been very successful (it started a month or
> so ago), but I'm having a couple of DirectX-related problems. We're using
> DirectX 9, the LinuxOS is Fedora Core 6, the Wine version is 0.9.32, and
> we're only using the binary loader, i.e. we're simply running our Windows
> executable under Wine.
>
> The problems I'm having relate to calling IDirect3DSurface9::GetDC() on an
> offscreen surface,
Do not use GetDC. This is a bad idea, especially in wine. This call is
implemented only very rudimentarily. If you do what you are doing here, the
the following happens: Then LockRect is called to download the opengl render
target to the DIB secion. On the BitBlt, the DIB section is converted to the
X server's color depth, then sent to the X server via shared memory which
handles the Blit. The very first call creates a DIB section for the surface,
which is destroyed when the surface is destroyed. However, I have never
tested it for offscreen surfaces.

The whole issue is a huge PITA though. I think a more efficient way(but still
very slow) would be to render to an offscreen surface or the back buffer,
then use StretchRect to copy it to a texture and Lock the texture. If
possible, do some other work between the stretchrect and the lock, because
lock forces a gpu-cpu synchronisation. If you're rendering to the back buffer
you should, if possible, render upside down and do an upside down stretch, if
you render to an offscreen surface wined3d does the upside down thing for
you. Thats because glCopyTexSubImage, which we use for the framebuffer ->
texture copy, copies upside down, and unless the app orders an upside down
copy we have to copy line by line. Also avoid StretchRect parameters that
require the surface to be Stretched(just do a 1:1 copy). The blit the
downloaded memory to the window. The mail gain of this is that wined3d knows
you're locking the surface read only. If you use GetDC we don't know that and
on ReleaseDC we upload the surface from the DIB section back to opengl
because it may have been modified.

To answer your question about the general implementation of d3d: Yes, we do
use hardware accelerated OpenGL, in fact we just call the opengl
implementation that is present on the Linux system. Certain operations can't
be mapped directly to opengl, like GetDC. I'm having plans to implement
various GDI functions on top of opengl, but those are just plans.

Another *ugly* way may be to render to the back buffer and call glCopyPixels
from your program. If you're using d3d in wine you have an opengl context
active, so technically you can just do opengl calls. This avoids copying the
frame buffer to system memory, but I don't know if glCopyPixels leaves the
rest of the window intact. Furthermore you'd have to calculate the correct
offset based on wine's bug.

As for the stateblock I have no idea what could go wrong. It would be
interesting to follow the call into the wine code and find the line that
crashes.