wine killing X?

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 09:11:30 CDT 2007

Yes, I get this too. It's present in 0.9.36 and appears to have been
introduced in 0.9.35 or possibly 0.9.34.

I can reproduce this bug pretty easily when I run world of warcraft on
wine. My setup is a virtual 1024x768 wine window. I start wow it plays
just fine for as long as I want .... _as long as I don't move that
virtual wine window_ anywhere on the desktop. If I do move the virtual
window, within about 15 seconds, the screen will freeze. And it really
does freeze in a big way, it not only freezes X but you can't even type
a CNTRL-ALT F1 to F6 to bring up a login screen (keyboard unresponsive)
so you can not even login to shut the system down cleanly.

I haven't tried updating my ATI proprietary driver to the latest version
yet, although the one I'm runing is pretty recent. But I will update it
to the latest & see if that has any effect.

Here's my hardware spec.
Wine 0.9.36 (DiasabledExtensions added to registry)
ATI 9550 256MB AGP (ATI Driver 8.35.5) (No 3D desktop installed, such as
compiz/beryl)
Suse 10.2 3.0GHz P4 + 1GB CPU memory
Wow 2.0.12 working with wine 0.9.36 in opengl mode flawlessly! on a 1280
x 1024 desktop in a wine 1024 x 768 virtual desktop window, except when
you move the virtual window about.
Known problems 1. switching video resiolutions in game causes a crash)