Bug 7682: NtQueryDirectoryFile fails when querying certain symbolic links

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Apr 28 18:05:50 CDT 2007

Cudos to Lei and everyone else who found the real problem.

It appears that Wine's implementation of the NtQueryDirectoryFile and
all other functions that ending up calling it have a major problem. They
will fail if called on symlinks into directories outside $WINEPREFIX
which contain $WINEPREFIX itself (aka loop scenarios). Ex:

c:\windows\profiles\vitaliy\Desktop -> $HOME/Desktop -  works
c:\windows\profiles\vitaliy\My Documents -> $HOME -  does not

The reason of this is clear - we have to stop any "loops" that are not
common on windows (but possible with reparse points). There are lots of
"smart" programs that will scan all of available drives and of course
they will lock up in the never ending cycle if loops are allowed.

However, as I recall this configuration was a result of the long
discussion about desktop integration. And use of symlinks was the best
solution. It appears it is not a solution. Quite an opposite - it just
plain doesn't work.

So should we go back to the drawing board and and rethink our approach
to the desktop integration? Also what can we do, if user configures such
a loops him/her self?

Vitaliy Margolen