exporting file associations for linux desktops

Misha Koshelev mk144210 at bcm.edu
Wed Aug 8 23:45:47 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 21:59 -0400, Vincent Povirk wrote:
> Wine start is not quite what I had in mind. Each file type can have
> multiple "verbs" (such as open, edit, print..), and I'd like GNOME to
> give me the option to use any of the verbs that are available. Wine
> start is apparently hard-coded to use the "open" verb.
You will have to forgive my ignorance but I guess my other concern would
be is there even a way for GNOME to handle such verbs at the moment? I
was looking at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec
and it seems like there is plans for this but, at least according to
that page the spec for this is still in development. Also, just playing
around with a few files on my desktop I could not find any useful way to
invoke verbs other than open, but maybe I am missing something...

> That may mean it's simple to modify it for my purposes, but there's a
> windows equivalent. Changing the way it works to deviate from Windows
> may not be a good idea.
Yes, very good point. I believe this was one of the reasons I decided
not to submit any patches to modify start to work with UNIX paths.
Provided we only use the open verb could still use the shell script
approach...

> As for converting unix/windows paths, that's what winepath is for.
Good point, didn't notice that particular program.

Misha