exporting file associations for linux desktops

Misha Koshelev mk144210 at bcm.edu
Thu Aug 9 07:48:47 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 13:24 +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Another drawback of using a general "wine start" to call the windows apps is
> that we sacrifice a bit of desktop integration. It would be cool if the Linux
> mime type generated from the wine registry contained the application's name
> and icon, instead of some "Open with Wine" name.
That is a good point. That favors the winemenubuilder/install-time
approach that Steven Edwards suggested.

> I don't know if the registry can assign multiple programs to one mime type,
> but KDE can also offer a list of programs if multiple apps can handle one
> mime type. If a user has e.g. Internet Explorer and Win32 Opera installed,
> then he should see both IE and Opera next to the Linux apps he has installed,
> and should be able to select a default for KDE/Gnome, without having to
> select a Wine default too.
Good point as well. I suppose the winemenubuiler/program install time
approach would solve this problem too (if you installed IE and then
Win32 Opera we would keep the mime types around in Linux so you would
still be able to start both). Using this approach would also solve any
problems with wine's start not necessarily having the appropriate
command line parameter support. I am starting to like/favor the
install-time association approach.

Misha