exporting file associations for linux desktops

Koshelev, Misha Vladislavo mk144210 at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Aug 9 09:14:13 CDT 2007

>From: madewokherd at gmail.com on behalf of Vincent Povirk
>On 8/9/07, Misha Koshelev <mk144210 at bcm.edu> wrote:
><snip>
>> still be able to start both). Using this approach would also solve any
>> problems with wine's start not necessarily having the appropriate
>> command line parameter support. I am starting to like/favor the
>> install-time association approach.
>
>How would it solve that?
>
>If you mean we should attempt to start the program directly using the
>command-line from Linux instead of ShellExecute, I think this is a
>very bad idea. We would suddenly have to worry about setting the
>working directory correctly, replacing %1 and anything similar, not to
>mention handling those actions that use some other method. We'd pretty
>much have to rewrite ShellExecute on the Linux side.

That is a good point, especially when you consider things like DDE. If I remember my Windows
registry correctly though this would mean only one Win32 application/MIME-type (at least per
wine prefix I guess). I guess that means we would have to go through start or some kind of start-like
approach. So any info about the non-open verbs being supported on the Linux side of things?

Misha