Direct3D 10 design considerations

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sat Aug 18 09:54:43 CDT 2007

Am Samstag, 18. August 2007 14:34 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> > My suggestion would be to create a new wined3d with the same interface as
> > the current wined3d. If needed ddraw/d3d8/d3d9 can use this wined3d too.
> > Personally I would add d3d9ex.dll like on Vista which can use
> > wined3d-gl3.
>
> I certainly wouldn't discard that option either. Keeping things
> together, if possible, is just a slight preference. As for d3d9ex, it
> appears to mostly be d3d9 with some extra flags in a couple of places.
> I've got no idea if anyone is actually using it, or will be, but it
> shouldn't be particularly hard to add.
I am opposed to writing a 2nd wined3d with the same interface. One of the main
problems, if we stay with one wined3d, is to map the d3d9 and d3d10 interface
together efficiently(remember: Microsoft went for a new low level interface).
If we use 2 wined3d's with the same interface we do not gain much compared to
a common codebase(still two different implementations), but we still have the
hassle of designing an internal interface that can run both d3d versions and
is suitable for gl3 and very old gl 1.2 versions.