.NET support

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Thu Aug 30 11:13:40 CDT 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 17:49, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2007 00:35, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> >> Now that GDIplus is shaping up, is there a chance of implementing .forms
> >> support in mono with it?
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> Jakob
> >
> > Mono contains its own version of gdiplus for rendering system.drawing and
> > in the end Windows.Forms. Though on windows I think it uses the native
> > gdiplus.dll. You can install the win32 version of mono and see if it
> > works.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you had in mind.
>
> Well, Monos version of Windows.Forms isn't exactly 100% compatible with
> .NETs.
>
> I figured now that the foundation of a REAL (gdiplus) is coming
> together, it might built on that instead.
>
> regards,
> Jakob

I think the incompatibilities you mean are for instance that in case of Mono
you can mix Windows.Forms with win32 calls. If you don't like the behavior of
something you can call a standard gdi32/user32 function and change some
stuff.

Things like that work because I think the .NET version of Windows.Forms maps
to win32 controls. Mono renders everything itself through System.Drawing. I
don't think a different gdiplus.dll will make any difference for this. To
allow mixing of Windows.Forms with gdi32 stuff everything needs to be
rendered using native controls. That's what mono attempted years ago using
Wine but they had various Wine integration troubles and we didn't come to a
good solution for it.

Roderick