Hmm. Cider and the LGPL

Jason Green jave27 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:16:12 CDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> http://www.linux-community.de/story?storyid=23294 and
> http://www.macnews.de/news/102145.html mention
> that some users are using Cider from one game
> to run a second game on the Mac.  The game vendors
> are upset, and are saying they'll do something to make
> that harder.  There is some question about whether Cider
> includes LGPL components of Wine, and whether there
> are any violations lurking there.
> I imagine our friends at Cedega would
> instinctively avoid such infringement, but accidents might
> happen.  It'll be interesting to see if anybody finds a real problem.

All of the LGPL Cedega/Cider source code is available on TransGaming's
public CVS server at http://www.cedega.com/cvs/.  Any substantial
patches to LGPL'd components are typically submitted back to WineHQ.
There haven't been many recently since most of those components aren't
heavily used by games.  One of my roles at TransGaming is to make sure
that patches to our LGPL'd folders make their way back here.

Jason Green
Developer, TransGaming, Inc.