Hmm. Cider and the LGPL

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Aug 30 15:26:00 CDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Jason Green <jave27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.linux-community.de/story?storyid=23294 and
> > http://www.macnews.de/news/102145.html mention
> > that some users are using Cider from one game
> > to run a second game on the Mac.  The game vendors
> > are upset, and are saying they'll do something to make
> > that harder.  There is some question about whether Cider
> > includes LGPL components of Wine, and whether there
> > are any violations lurking there.
> > I imagine our friends at Cedega would
> > instinctively avoid such infringement, but accidents might
> > happen.  It'll be interesting to see if anybody finds a real problem.
>
> All of the LGPL Cedega/Cider source code is available on TransGaming's
> public CVS server at http://www.cedega.com/cvs/.  Any substantial
> patches to LGPL'd components are typically submitted back to WineHQ.
> There haven't been many recently since most of those components aren't
> heavily used by games.  One of my roles at TransGaming is to make sure
> that patches to our LGPL'd folders make their way back here.

Hi Jason,
on the off chance the rest of Transgaming hasn't already
seen those two pages, please circulate the links.

it'd be nice to have responses to questions like
"The LGPL seems to give users the right to remove
the LGPL'd portions of Cider from game A and use it
with other apps.  The gamers who are currently doing this
are also copying proprietary parts of Cider, which isn't allowed.
How will Transgaming prevent the copying of the proprietary
parts of Cider without preventing the copying or modification
of the LGPL portions?".

And maybe even get the answer back to the authors of those pages.

That ought to calm the waters.

Cheers,
Dan