xdg_user_dirs patches

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:05:08 CST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 3:50 PM, Frank Richter <frank.richter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30.11.2007 18:50, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > I guess the preferred solution would be to teach GNOME & KDE
> > about .lnk files.
>
> Or write .desktop files to the Desktop dir.

I agree with Juan having multiple "Desktop" directories does not work
and it will confuse users. Wine already has enough places were we do
that and we should not add even more.

I think teaching them about .lnk files is a better solution. It should not be
to hard to have a mime type of *.lnk that invokes Wine and passes the
shortcut to the link processor. Really all GNOME & KDE need to do
with *.lnk files is have the ability to follow a small part of them to the
binary in question and load the Icon data from the resource section.
The rest can be off loaded to Wine when a user actually clicks one.

--
Steven Edwards