Why must the user be the owner of the WINEPREFIX dir?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Dec 2 16:26:53 CST 2007

Gabriel Sailer <gabriel.sailer at gmx.net> writes:

> I used the same WinXX Application with wine for a few people (not
> parallel but serialized) in the same group and gave the WINEPREFIX dir
> (and all subdirectories and files) to this group.
>
> Is it really nesseccary to use this protection? Did i get a security hole
> without the check?

It's because when you have several users sharing a prefix directory
you'll most likely run into trouble. In particular it catches people
running as root inside a user's dir, which breaks things. If you are
sure that you have taken care of all the potential trouble, you can work
around the check by creating a prefix dir for each user and symlinking
things inside it to a central place.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org