replying to wine-devel?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Thu Dec 6 18:54:05 CST 2007

Kai Blin wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 02:05:59 King InuYasha wrote:
>
>> I have noticed some unusual behavior in the wine-devel mailing list
>> compared to others (e.g. fedora's, etc.). Wine's wine-devel mailing
>> list does not automatically set the reply to wine-devel at winehq.org.
>> Why is that? If other mailing lists do so, how come Wine's doesn't?
>> Personally, I find myself making a mistake sometimes and not adding in
>> the wine-devel part because I am used to seeing it automatically set.
>> If I remember how emails are set up, isn't there a hidden field called
>> reply-to? AFAICT, other mailing lists either override or rewrite this
>> field and replace it with the email address of the mailing list.
>>

> The reason is explained in http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> In short, the downside to only replying to the author by accident is pretty
> small compared to mistakenly replying to the whole list with something
> intended just for the author.

You are correct as this can prove fatal to the sender if you intended
only to send back to the original
sender rather than the entire list.  I was removed from one list after I
forgot to change the intended
receipant from the list to a single person.  Thus, I will reverse my
original opinion and state that requiring
the use of the 'Reply to All' button may delay or even remove the desire
to reply.

Thank you for this informational link and why using the 'reply-to' is
very dangerous.

James