ENTER_GL and ActivateContext question

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 14 03:30:54 CST 2007

Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2007 02:46:42 schrieb Ivan Gyurdiev:
> Your codebase is constantly getting more complex, and now you're having
> threading issues, which will only get more important with multi-core and
> other such things becoming standard.  Meanwhile graphics cards are
> getting a lot more powerful - I solved the performance problem 2 weeks
> ago w/ a GeForce 8800 GT.
For every other program I'd agree with that, but for WineD3D that doesn't
apply. Gamers do not care about algorithmic complexity and the
the-next-gen-hardware-will-fix-it argument. This is true for almost
everything else out there, but gamers see that they get 70 fps in windows and
45 in Wine, and they'll complain. Heck, they even complain if they get 70 in
Windows and 65 in Wine.

> As for the "object oriented programmer" - I would hope every programmer
> thinks in terms of objects, even when writing C code.
> The GLSL backend wouldn't be available today if the shader compiler was
> still a big series of if statements.
This is true; And the rest of the code isn't a collection of if statements
either(BltOverride is, but that should be fixed). If we had proper C++, then
we could have the compiler inline the getters and setters, however, with the
current C setup we can't do that(unless we write a bunch of macros or extra
inline functions, which doesn't really help maintainability either).