New bugzilla components.

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 16:08:53 CST 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007 22:47:23 James Hawkins wrote:

> ws2_32 or wsock32, or both, depending on the existing bugs.

Given that wsock32 forwards over 90% of the calls to ws2_32, let's go for that
one then.

> > Coming to think about that, if we're fine to add more categories for
> > things like secur32.dll, how about splitting up those by debug channel?
> > E.g. my ntlm provider has an "ntlm" debug channel, the kerberos provider
> > that I keep starting and restarting in some branches on my box always
> > uses "kerberos", and Juan might want to use schannel as debug channel.
>
> I have to voice my disagreement on this one.  per-debug channel is too
> fine-grained, and that's a road we don't want to go down.  Think of it
> like this: the components are not meant to help the users in any way,
> only the developers.

But I as a part-time developer can't keep track of all the areas in Wine. I
don't know anything about.. say GUI.. or actually anything that's not secur32
or maybe winsock. Where's the advantage of me refiling a bug someone filed
as.. say "ws2_32" to "default" again because I don't know what gui component
is responsible as opposed to me refiling it as wine-gui (see bug 9771 as a
specific example that just came up).

> As a developer, will the different provider
> components (ntlm, kerberos, et.al.) help you any?  You'll have to read
> the logs anyway.

Well, maybe. Once schannel is implemented, I probably won't look at those
because I don't know about schannel. I don't get your point about having to
read logs, because I think that is needed for all but the most obviously
invalid bugs.

> schannel, on the other hand, is a module in the wine
> tree, so that would be a useful component.

Nope. It forwards to secur32.dll, apart from two calls. I'm kind of certain
we're just arguing about what color the bikeshed should be painted in, but
either we just lump all sspi errors into one category, or we have one per
logical module.

So I guess the real question is how much diversity we want and need.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin