[Wine] crash running Myst

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Sun Dec 16 21:25:48 CST 2007

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, James McKenzie wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > I'm trying to run Myst (masterpiece edition).  By upgrading Wine to .51,
> > I've gotten the install to finish without complaint.  When I attempt to
> > run Myst, the following is written to the terminal:
> >
> > $ wine Myst.exe
> > fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on MPU-401 UART,
> > disabling mixer
> > wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00150000 at address
> > 0xb7d75cbc (thread 0009), starting debugger...
> > First chance exception: page fault on write access to 0x00150000 in 32-bit
> > code (0xb7d75cbc).
> >
> > After that comes a register dump, stack dump, and 28 lines of backtrace.
> > Where do I go from here?
>
> File a bug report AFTER searching for problems with Myst.  If you find
> an existing problem, add
> your information and the bug logs, zipped if they are large >.5 MB.  If
> you can, vote on an existing problem.

Further investigation revealed that the latest version of Wine that works
with Myst-ME is 0.9.48.  It leaves a lot to be desired.

1) Myst seems to work only if the window manager is allowed to control the
windows.  Upon startup, though, it looks as if the window is unmanaged.
In particular, the entire top part of the screen is taken over by a menu
bar generated by Myst, even though the Myst "window" is only a quarter of
the screen.

2) After the introduction video finishes, the game is begun by opening the
book shown and touching the picture.  At this point the audio repeats the
last quarter second.  It grabs the mouse and refuses to let go even though
this option is not checked.  Control can be grabbed back by doing
ctrl-alt-backspace, which forces gdm to reset.

Slightly related to these, I found a more general problem which is still
present in .51.  If you start winecfg and set it to emulate a virtual
desktop of say, 800x600, you cannot sucessfully use winecfg after that
because the buttons on the bottom are more than 800 pixels away from the
top.  The top cannot be moved up nor can the window be resized.  It's not
clear to me how to turn off the virtual desktop behavior without using
winecfg or wiping out $HOME/.wine/.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu