loader: Add --compile-info option to Wine.

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 13:53:38 CST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 12:20 PM, Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> wrote:
> John Klehm schrieb:
> > On Dec 18, 2007 9:43 AM, Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> As I recall this is not the only version that causes problems. Plus certain compiler
> >> flags have an influence as well. And as most distros ship gcc with a bunch
> >> of patches you probably can't even rely on the gcc version alone.
> >>
> >> Imo it would be better to collect the info on a wiki page.
> >>

> > Like this one?  http://wiki.winehq.org/GccVersions
>
> ah, nice. didn't know about that one.
>
> > Nothing wrong with having the info output reflect the knowledge
> > gathered on the wiki page.
>
> So let's add to that info that gcc 4.2.2 (on gentoo) doesn't work.
> As well as recent 4.3-snapshots. (At least that was the status a few
> releases back, haven't tested in a while.)
> But they did work if you compile with -fstack-protector. And some
> distros(I think Ubuntu for example) patch gcc to use that flag by default.
> And at least with gcc-4.2.2 it was always very close at the line
> between working and non-working. Just a few changes in gdi/kernel/user
> could make a difference. So it might even vary between single wine releases.
>
> You want to put and more importantly maintain all those details in the
> src code?
>
> I don't think that this is such a great idea. But hey, that's just my
> opinion.

Hmmm.  It's good that we have a wiki for this now. While that page
seems to be focused on SafeDisc, I have long known that gcc 4.0.x
breaks SecuRom. Should we differentiate the two? Maybe not. Since we
have a wiki up, I will probably link to it from my appdb pages now. If
there is anything we can do to identify which distros have broken
gcc's for copy protection we need to do it. These days I still get
people complaining their disc doesn't work and I have no clue what's
wrong as I have not seen a regression in years (this is older
SecuRom), and they do have what I consider to be a working version of
gcc. Sounds like a we're getting into packaging/flags stuff. I don't
even want to go there.