dll to .so wrapper

Maarten Lankhorst maarten at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 19 15:26:38 CST 2007

Hi bridd,

bridd schreef:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a bit of a specific task, that I don't know if it's achievable
> via wine in some way or not.  I'd like to make a windows dll available
> to linux programs as a .so file.
>
> The dll itself is a video plugin (freeframe.sourceforge.net).  These are
> available commercially to buy, and I'd like to be able to use them in a
> linux application that supports the plugin format for native linux
> compiled plugins, without having to request linux native versions from
> the commercial developers.
>
> I've been doing some searching, and have found a few mails on this list
> about this sort of thing in the past, but haven't been able to find a
> conclusive method.
>
> I guess that this might be possible via some sort of wrapper that maps
> the inputs/outputs to the dll .  Does anyone know if there is anything
> that runs like this already out there that I could take a look at as an
> example piece of code to hack about with?

This topic comes up from time to time, usually with mild variations. The
problem is that wine sets up its own environment and memory layout. In
the end you will need a .exe (or winelib binary) that uses wine, and a
socket/pipe/shm function to communicate with the .so, there is no easy
way to just  dynamically load a dll in an existing program.

Cheers,
Maarten.