appdb license choices unclear

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Dec 31 08:36:59 CST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 8:55 PM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
>         According to Wikipedia: "The *only* criterion for being classified
> as "freeware" is that the software must be made available for use for an
> unlimited time at no cost" [1].
>         [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

That page also mentions that some people disagree with that,
and say that software which cannot be shared with others
is not freeware.

The difference is interesting to me because nonredistributable
freeware can be pulled from the internet at any time
by its author, whereas redistributable freeware will always
be available via mirrors.  Thus the Wine community can
count on redistributable freeware, but not in general on nonredistributable.

This matters sometimes, e.g. when considering which apps to
put in our "must run in 1.0" test suite.

So it might be good to split freeware into two:
  Free to use, but not to share
  Free to use and to share
- Dan