Helping a user migrate an odbc app to Wine

Rolf Kalbermatter r.kalbermatter at hccnet.nl
Thu Feb 8 02:38:00 CST 2007

Dan Kegel [mailto:dank at kegel.com] wrote:

>Can somebody help this (german-speaking) fellow:
>http://www.unixboard.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=26943
>
>He says his company's internal application requires you to
>input a DSN when installing it, and he doesn't know how to
>come up with a DSN under Wine.

Hmm, the DSN is just a name. You first would have to configure
it and yes that means under Wine to deal with unixODBC.

Alternatively you could change the connection string to pass all
relevant information to the driver directly and have the configuration
of those parameters in the application itself.

>Presumably he doesn't want to mess with Unixodbc, he just wants
>to keep using the Microsoft drivers...?

Ouch, I wouldn't see how this could work. Running the Microsoft
drivers together with the whole Microsoft ODBC manager under Wine
too would probably be the only way to get that working. But I think
it is safe to assume that that would require quite some work in Wine
before this could possibly work, not to talk about license issues.

Rolf Kalbermatter