We need a new version numbering scheme

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Fri Feb 16 01:03:07 CST 2007

Friday February 16 2007 05:53、Scott Ritchie さんは書きました:
> On several occasions I have received emails referring to Wine version
> 0.9.3.  One person even told me about a regression from 0.9.28 to 0.9.3.
>
> Presumably, this version is being confused with Wine 0.9.30 in these
> letters, however I have been unable to tell whether people were ACTUALLY
> using 0.9.3 or were instead simply referring to 0.9.30 in the intuitive
> way of chopping off the last 0.
>
> Either way, version numbers should be completely clear, and they're not
> currently.  I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

	I think there is no problem. Most people do understand that 0.9.30 and 0.9.3
different things. Chopping off the last 0 isn't intuitive at all. This is the
same as replacing amount of something with value of 10 times smaller: 3
apples instead of 30 for example!
	So my opinion that there is no problem at all. This is mostly problem of some
people that don't understand simple things. I think it is very clear that if
we have "0" in version number then it is important. And also - it actually
have very intuitive meaning!
	BTW, 90% of versions doesn't contain zeros in the version number.