We need a new version numbering scheme

Andrew Talbot Andrew.Talbot at talbotville.com
Fri Feb 16 09:11:20 CST 2007

Scott Ritchie wrote:

> On several occasions I have received emails referring to Wine version
> 0.9.3.  One person even told me about a regression from 0.9.28 to 0.9.3.
>
> Presumably, this version is being confused with Wine 0.9.30 in these
> letters, however I have been unable to tell whether people were ACTUALLY
> using 0.9.3 or were instead simply referring to 0.9.30 in the intuitive
> way of chopping off the last 0.
>
> Either way, version numbers should be completely clear, and they're not
> currently.  I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

The problem arises when version control programs sort the release "tags"
alphanumerically, presenting them in the following order, since the digits
are just treated as members of an extended alphabet, not as real numbers.

Wine-0_9
Wine-0_9_1
Wine-0_9_10
Wine-0_9_19
Wine-0_9_2
Wine-0_9_20
Wine-0_9_29
Wine-0_9_3
Wine-0_9_30

I think it's probably only a trap for people who download from a source
repository - and it is not a problem peculiar to Wine. Packaged versions
are unlikely to be presented in this bizarre order.

-- Andy.