winecfg: Add check for device access to Drives tab.

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Feb 18 12:59:50 CST 2007

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:
>
>> Any reasons why this patch is not applied?
>> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2007-January/035264.html
>>
>> This is one of the major headaches for users trying to get programs
>> requiring direct CD-ROM drive access to work. And it's nearly impossible
>> to get required information from users to find if the direct access
>> actually works or not.
>
> I think you should distinguish the case of no device at all from the
> case of a SCSI ioctl failing, for instance loop mounts wouldn't
> support the ioctl but would still work fine for many things. Also the
That is exactly the point! Some "smart" users use iso images and
complain that cd-checks fail. This is a more generic ioctl that will
fail on a loop device. And that's a reason I used it.

> no device case needs to be less scary, there's nothing wrong with it
I disagree. It have to be scary! It have to tell user that they do not
have direct access to the device. And that enything that will try doing
that will fail! In most cases users will get some obscure error messages
that will tell them nothing about the actual cause. I want to have at
least one place where we can point users to go look if they have or
properly configured system or not.

> for most devices. And the strings need to be in resources.
Will do that.

Vitaliy.