How complete will Wine ever be for older apps?

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 12:52:43 CST 2007

> I'm just trying to build up a picture in my head of whether there
> will come a day when Wine users can pick an app designed for a
> previous generation of Windows and expect it to work flawlessly
> (ignoring things that try to manipulate the hardware directly, I
> suppose)? Or will there always be incompatibilities?

There will (likely) always be incompatibilities.  Wine development has
always  been driven by app compatibility - someone picks an app and tries
to run it, and tries to fix problems they come across.  We don't aim for
feature completeness - Windows is far, far too big to replicate with the
resources we have.  So, some apps (the ones developers have worked on, and
likely others) will work quite well, while others (those that haven't been
worked on) may not work as well.

--Juan