a big fan (now with bad news)

Joris Huizer joris_huizer at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 16:13:52 CST 2007

Aww... yes, I'm seeing that too
According the the wine application database (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=469) some settings help it get a bit further, but it reports: "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."
(With a "debug" button)

With these messages:

fixme:shell:StopWatchMode () stub!
fixme:shdocvw:IEWinMain "" 10
fixme:ole:CoResumeClassObjects stub
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load urlmon.dll.CreateURLMoniker
wine: Call from 0x7b842138 to unimplemented function urlmon.dll.CreateURLMoniker, aborting
fixme:imm:ImmDisableIME (-1): stub
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"Microsoft Internet Explorer"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventA (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x000003e8,(nil),0x0005,0x00000050,0x632f6ec0,0x632f6a84): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x000003e8,(nil),0x0005,0x00000050,0x161400,0x632f6a84): stub
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"iexplore.exe"
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"6.0.2800.1106"
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L""
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"0.0.0.0"
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"00000000"
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN connection.

Hitting "debug" crashes as an unimplemented function in urlmon is called - that seems weird, as it should be using the native version of urlmon... oh well

I guess you need to use ies4linux to get a working IE for now.
I had it installed as some program thought it needed it - hadn't noticed it didn't actually run

Jeffrey Sabarese <core5fedora at gmail.com> wrote: Hi Joris,

Thanks again for corresponding with me on this. (i realize there's
much text here, so please take you time, get to it when you can...)

for the link, just think: "this dude is such a 'NOVICE'!! he really
should take more 'NOTES'!!!..."
get it? novicenotes? hee hee
then a text search (upper right) of WinE ie will get you there, undoubtedly.

but that's not why i am writing. i wanted to let you know that the
"genuine" installer,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx
did not succeed in placing a useable software on the system. it seemed
to "install" just fine, but launching it:
[ wine '/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe' ]
brings up a window w/ nothing but "white space". as if it "wants" to
launch, but doesn't quite get there.

when ie was installed via "ies4linux", i DID experience a similar
activity, but only if i launched IE via WinE application link, for
example, if i linked to IE from... say EditPlus, as an external
browser, i would get the same: a window w/ nothing in it-- as you
might see after an app has crashed, the window's still up, but no
screen-updating, so you get a "frozen" image, or white screen. so, the
only time i've ever seen it look "right" myself was using the
"non-standard" ies4linux launcher, as i've illustrated specifically,
here some time ago (showing the 3 versions of IE in that package):
http://digisquirrel.blogspot.com/2006/08/fiddlers-three.html

please understand that i want to install it the proper, WinE
developers' recommended way, so this is why i continue to research the
subject (and continue to probably annoy you, for which i apologize).
What might i be doing wrong? i noticed in my blog entry-- (a different
one this time) http://novicenotes.com/2006/08/04/ie_on_linux_wine/
where i discussed DCOM98.EXE . i haven't actively installed that
component this time-- so unless it came down w/ the MS installer,
might i need to have that installed as well?

any other feedback you have on this subject is appreciated. perhaps
you have  URL w/ the preferred, WinE dev's method? (assuming it's
"okay [legal]" to do the MS installer)

thank you for your generous help!!
--Jeff Sabarese

PS. I apologize if it's been an invasion-- i thought i mailed to the
"list" last time, but it looks like i sent just to you last time? (and
i know i sent only to you this time, so if you wish to forward to the
list, please do so. i have a real problem w/ being not-concise [as
you've noticed, i'm sure], so i tried to spare the other members for
now. sorry i can't seem to shorten things more than i do).

--