appdb rating inflation

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:43:36 CST 2007

On 03.01.2007 04:00, Dan Kegel wrote:
> No manual editing of files, no winecfg settings, no native DLLs, no
> third-party
> install scripts, and no cracks are allowed for a Platinum rating.

Giving a set of points may lead to some people think "hey to run
MyApplication I just have to <some obscure workaround>. It's not in the
list, so lets rate it platinum!". So maybe put some generalized
criterium in front of that list: "The application should install and run
on a fresh, unmodified Wine, from original installation media. That
means, among other things, no manual editing of files, ..."

OTOH, there are not much "obscure workarounds" not covered by that list.
Manually editing the registry might be one that should be be disallowed.
Also, you mentioned apps that only run as root; this might be worthwhile
to disallow, too.

-f.r.