appdb rating inflation

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 11:33:09 CST 2007

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 17:17, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
> If we are indeed to make further changes, I suggest that we allow a few
> cosmetic errors in the Gold and Platinum ratings, but leave them otherwise
> unchanged, then add a new 'ultimate' rating that allows no changes or
> flaws. We could call it 'Titanium', for example (or why not 'Roentgenium'
> :) ), or perhaps Diamond.  In that case we should rename Platinum to
> Emerald or Ruby.
>
> That way users not fearing a few extra settings can look for anything rated
> Gold and above, while the out-of-the-box lovers can look for Platinum and
> above.  It should satisfy most people.  The thing is, if adding single DLL
> override or crack is all that keeps a user from having a Windows copy
> around, he is likely to enter that dll override or copy the crack.

Kind of sounds sensible.

That would give us (borrowed from Ivan's post)

Paying customer - Diamond level, maybe Platinum level, decided on a case by
case basis.

New user, unfamilar with wine -  Diamond and Platinum level.

Wine expert user - Diamond, Platinum and Gold level, maybe Silver level,
decided on case by case basis (e.g. 1602 A.D. blows up in multiplayer, works
without flaws that don't exist in win32 in singleplayer)

Developer - All ratings.

Personally, I kind of like the Diamond/Emerald naming, but in the end I don't
care what they're called. I think it'd be kind of nice for people to see what
errors stop the app from reaching the next best rating, so going back to my
1602 A.D. example, if I don't care about multiplayer being broken, the app is
essentially Diamond for me.

My 2 cents,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/