appdb rating inflation

Kari Hurtta hurtta+gmane at siilo.fmi.fi
Wed Jan 3 08:34:21 CST 2007

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> writes in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel:

> The appdb says
> "Only applications which install and run flawlessly on an out-of-the-box
> Wine installation make it to the Platinum list"

Yes.  Also on front page http://appdb.winehq.org/ on first item:

The Top-10 Platinum List

Ragnarok Online All Versions

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=928

Maintainer¡Çs Rating:	Platinum

                         * Installation. That was not necessary because I
                           already installed it in Windows - I'm just running
                           RO from the Windows partition.

So that appdb classification is complete garbage.

If Platinum requires that installation works out of box, and
tester did even tested installation and still gives platinium.

So first item on http://appdb.winehq.org/ says "don't trust me".

/ Kari Hurtta

( Some other maintenaivers have give rating 'Garbage' for this application :-) )