appdb rating inflation

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:46:08 CST 2007

On 03 Jan 2007 16:34:21 +0200, Kari Hurtta <hurtta+gmane at siilo.fmi.fi> wrote:
> "Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> writes in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel:
>
> > The appdb says
> > "Only applications which install and run flawlessly on an out-of-the-box
> > Wine installation make it to the Platinum list"
>
> Yes.  Also on front page http://appdb.winehq.org/ on first item:
>
> The Top-10 Platinum List
>
> Ragnarok Online All Versions
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=928
>
> Maintainer's Rating:    Platinum

>                          * Installation. That was not necessary because I
>                            already installed it in Windows - I'm just running
>                            RO from the Windows partition.
>

> So that appdb classification is complete garbage.
>
> If Platinum requires that installation works out of box, and
> tester did even tested installation and still gives platinium.
>

> So first item on http://appdb.winehq.org/ says "don't trust me".
>
> / Kari Hurtta
>

> ( Some other maintenaivers have give rating 'Garbage' for this application :-) )

I agree, the rating isn't correct. We aren't going to be able to avoid
issues with mis-rated applications though, so discussing language
changes is only going to clarify the issue not entirely prevent them.

In this case the maintainer of the application should be made aware of
this issue and should take care of correcting the rating.

Chris