appdb rating inflation

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Jan 6 00:55:16 CST 2007

Dan Kegel wrote:
> The appdb says
> "Only applications which install and run flawlessly on an out-of-the-box
> Wine installation make it to the Platinum list"
> But several platinum-rated apps seem to deserve
> a silver or bronze rating.
I think what we should have is:
[Platinum]
Entire program runs perfectly (or at least as good as on windows) as-is
or with minor Wine configuration changes and any system configuration
changes. Any changes have to me documented in HOWTO.

[Gold]
Entire program run good or at least most used part of the program runs
good with same allowed changes as in Platinum.
OR
Runs same as Platinum, but with any Wine/System modifications.

[Bronze]
Some parts of program run, but it's buggy and barely usable.
OR
Program runs good with some native components.

[Garbage]
Program does not run at all or is completely unusable.

Note:
Any native components and/or "no-cd" type of patches are prohibited for
Platinum rating.

Then we can have a clear picture what already works, what can work good,
just needs some extra work, and what requires big effort to get it working.

Vitaliy.