Time for wine-mono or wine-dotnet11 component in Bugzilla?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jan 7 11:16:31 CST 2007

Olaf wrote:
>> Hrm.  Seems to me mono is going to become an
>> important part of wine pretty soon, if it lets us run
>> .net applications.
>
>What would have to be done to make MS .net work with wine?
>I think MS .Net might be better a better choice--  when
>thinking of compatibility -- especially in connection with the latest
VisualStudio.

I think it's been poked at a bit, and ought to be doable.
It's probably a month or so's concentrated work by
some wine developer.   I'd like to see it happen, but
it's always risky to get hooked on MS code that could
be withdrawn or made incompatible with Wine; better
to spend the effort getting the Mono route working first,
especially since it looks like that's really close.
If you want to try it, here's a shell script that installs
mono and sets up the registry keys needed for Wine to use it
for .net programs:
  http://kegel.com/wine/fakedotnet.sh
- Dan