Anonymous structs/unions

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 13:42:30 CST 2007

Joel Parker wrote:
> As seen here <http://source.winehq.org/source/include/winnt.h#L152>,
> we seem to be going through a lot of trouble to enable anonymous structs
> and unions for those compilers that support it. Why do this, especially
> when we need to name them anyway for those that don't?
>
> My reason for asking is that I'm doing a casual ANSI sweep of the code,
I doubt that is useful. If you do that i would at least check for C99.
There is no point for checking for compatibility with an old standard
just for the sake of being compliant.
There is a point though to keep compliance with an old existing compiler
that people still use. That is for Wine gcc-2.95.

> and anonymous unions are causing problems (they're not allowed). I could
> just put in a test for __STRICT_ANSI__ and disable them if found, but
> that feels like gaming the system, and it's not a standard macro anyway.
> The best way (other than just naming all the structs/unions) is to test
> for __STDC__, but GCC includes that one even when not using -ansi mode.
>
> Thoughts?
See above.

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart