Directplay Sevice Provider

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Jan 23 11:49:53 CST 2007

Am Dienstag 23 Januar 2007 14:08 schrieb Alessandro Pignotti:
> Hi everyone,
> i'm taking a look at wine's directplay implementation. From the the wiki
> i've seen that there are efforts to understand the directplay protocol. But
> it seems to be be quite a difficult task. Would not be a better idea to
> implement a wine directplay service provider with our own protocol, not
> compatible with microsoft tcp/ip service provider, but portable and usable
> on both windows and linux?
I think you should get in Contact with Kai Blin too. He is the main worker on
DirectPlay at the moment.

I think he decided to reverse engineer the Microsoft Protocol for a few
reasons. One of them is that we do not have to equip windows machines with
our own service providers. Understanding the protocol gives some insight into
the way dplay works, and I guess Kai has some fun reverse engineering the
protocol :-)