mshtml #2: Added warning if a wrong Wine Gecko package version was found.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Jun 1 03:56:02 CDT 2007

Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com> writes:

> The plan is to pass the version in URL query. Then the redirecting
> script will take care on choosing the correct file from SourceForge.
> It's backward compatible as older Wine won't pass the version so script
> will assume that an old Gecko is requested. The new Gecko doesn't work
> with old Wine (that's why we have to guaranty that it will download an
> old Gecko). It's because we depend on some Gecko behaviors that have
> changed. It's both due to Wine (we have to do some not nice tricks, to
> not say ugly hacks, to make loading document work correctly) and not
> perfect backward compatibility of Gecko. Also it's not guarantied that
> newer Wine will work with older Gecko. Currently it will work, that's
> why I think simple message is enough for now to not force people to
> download over 5MB if their apps work without it. But we have to use some
> unfrozen interfaces and they may change in the future preventing
> backward compatibility. Although we probably could add some workarounds
> when it will happen, I would be painful to support few Gecko version. So
> if it will happen in the future, then we can change this check to never
> use older Gecko (and perhaps add a nice updater).

One problem with your version scheme is that there's no obvious way of
determining which version is newer, or compatible. A simple string
comparison won't work for that purpose.

> By coexisting different versions you mean in one Wine prefix? Yes, it
> would be possible, but I don't see much point of it. If you think it
> should be done this way, I may implement so (it prevents current
> patches, these changes would be in another peace of code).

A wine prefix dir needs to be portable across Wine versions, you
should be able to upgrade/downgrade Wine while keeping the prefix
dir. So if compatibility across Gecko versions is not guaranteed we
have to support installing multiple versions in parallel.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org