git is to overwhelming

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Jun 3 14:07:56 CDT 2007

RusH wrote:
> Maybe im just to stupid for it :(
> I want to use git to download most current source, try my patches,
> then to again download most current source. I cant do it.
> wiki.winehq.org/GitWine
> doesnt help at all.
You probably should read main documentation about GIT then. What we have
on wiki is small pieces of information for people who some-what knows GIT.

> For example I had wine-0.9.37 fetched, added few patches, compiled it,
> installed locally, all was fun and games, Now I want to bring my local
> tree to current level, but cant. I did :
[skipped fruitless attempts at braking GIT tree]

> rasz at capek:/media/hdc6/home/rasz/source/wine$ git fetch ; git rebase origin
> dlls/user32/tests/menu.c: needs update

What this tells you is that you have modified dlls/user32/tests/menu.c
file. And you either have to commit it, or discard the changes. If you
have your modifications in the GIT tree - commit them! If you don't care
about any changes in your tree, do 'git checkout -f'.

'git reset HEAD^' does something _completely_ different from what you
want. It "undoes" the last commit without modifying the source. You
should only use it to edit your own patches that you just committed.

Anyway in short if you just want step-by-step:
git commit -a -m junk
git fetch
git rebase origin
git reset HEAD^

This will preserve *all* changes made in the tree. Of course if anything
will conflict, you'll have to resolve conflicts yourself.

Vitaliy.