Wine networking broke on Debian Sid

Ben Hodgetts (Enverex) ben at atomnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 05:48:51 CDT 2007

Just to make this clear before starting this is a Sid issue (as far as I
can tell) not a Wine issue.

Anyway, to the point. Networking is broken on Debian Sid and has been
for at least a week. I can't find out what has changed in Sid for it to
stop working but basically anyone running Wine on Sid wont be able to
use any form of network access. Firefox wont work, games wont be able to
access servers or anything else, Gecko wont work, etc. This is using
GIT, not the distros own packages.

I tried using the x86_64 package for Ubuntu 7.04 (because no x86_64
package exists for Debian) and Wine acted exactly the same way with a
clean .wine so it's not related to any build time issues. I reset to
0.9.34 in GIT and built that to make sure it wasn't anything that has
changed in Wine itself and the issue continued, so it's not something
that's changed in Wine. Although using an earlier version of Wine gives
a "Winehq.com could not be found, please check the address and try
again". Current Wine (or rather Gecko) doesn't bother giving you an
error message.

Could this be the work of the removal of an unspoken Wine dependency or
something more sinister? All native apps still work perfectly which is
what makes this such a hard thing to track down.

I just thought I'd throw this out there in-case any of you are using Sid
and wondering what the the hell happened to Wine. Log attached for
completeness.

Ben H.