DIB Engine & GSoC

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:44:25 CST 2007

Hi,

On 3/2/07, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other thing is that there are many aspects of GDI drawing, you
> have to take into account region clipping, pens, brushes, line
> thickness, line style, fill style, and other wonders, and make them
> work in 1, 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit colour depth pixel-for-pixel exact
> with the way Windows does them.

I don't really know anything about the DIB engine or the engineering
problem in getting it accepted except that it is going to be a massive
beast and almost impossible to implement in small changes.

If I understand it correctly, there was an idea floating around that
Ge van Geldorp had which was to auto generate the needed DIB engine
code for certain color depths and functions so you would not have to
implement the whole thing at once. if I remember correctly he did a
proof of concept implementation for ReactOS by first creating the
generic interfaces that were needed and then generating the code for
the more simple color depths so as not to break all the existing hacks
they had. Maybe I am off base here and Ge will comment as he lurks on
wine-devel and I have cc'd him on this email.

Due to the lack of clean room engineering in ReactOS I doubt Alexandre
would want to use that code. I know Ge developed it in clean manner so
we might still be able to use his concept to develop our DIB engine
even if we can't use that code directly.

Thanks

--
Steven Edwards