Writing a winelib plugin

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Mar 9 07:21:45 CST 2007

Dan Kegel wrote:
> What application did you have in mind?
I honestly don't know, yet. I'm meeting a prospective client on Sunday
that is currently doing some browser plugin via ActiveX, and wants to
support Linux and Mac OSX, as well as Firefox. They were thinking about
using Wine for some of the stuff, and converting code for other.

Obviously, I've heard the usual "we'll use winelib as we don't want to
bundle the whole of Wine", and had to break it to them that that is not
how things work.

At worst, I believe we can run the actual plugin code in a separate
process (started by Wine), and have a stub as the actual plugin, and
have the two communicate via some IPC. I was just asking in case the
problem was miraculously solved by someone while I was away from Wine.
What you describe sounds awfully similar to what I remembered, however.

Shachar