DirectX 10 start as a SoC project?

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 13:13:53 CST 2007

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Samstag 10 März 2007 19:39 schrieb Ivan Gyurdiev:
>
>>> Opinions? Suggestions?
>>>
>> Sounds too easy...if it included something like "HLSL compiler", that
>> would be another story.
>>
>> Also, you have to have a well-defined project to set completion criteria.
>> "starting the infrastructure" does not define when the project is complete.
>>
> Yeah, Henri had the same concern. We need proper completion conditions. How
> about: "Have d3d10 headers, a d3d10.dll with creator functions, functions
> calling wined3d where applicable, at least a stub for each other function and
> routine tests for reference counting and things that can be checked on the
> implemented functions" ?

This is describing a well-understood approach to adding a new DLL. I
think the SoC project needs to push the participant to be creative and
solve  a significant obstacle in wine development, which others find
challenging.

Yes, I am sure wine will benefit greatly from a d3d10 stub, mapping
1-to-1 to wined3d where possible, but is it really a project that
requires a lot of creativity and the whole summer to do ? I think
something that adds new functionality and can't mirror d3d8/d3d9 would
be better.

Ivan