appdb needs to allow untested applications sometimes

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Sat Mar 10 19:42:34 CST 2007

Søndag 11 mars 2007 00:51, skrev Dan Kegel:
> I tried to add an appdb entry for FINView because it's
> one of the applications required by the LiMux project,
> and I'm trying to add links into the appdb for all apps listed on
> http://wiki.winehq.org/LiMuxWineKeller .
> It's an addon for a commercial product I don't have,
> so I couldn't test it.  That means I had to lie to the
> appdb to get it to accept the entry.
>
> Appdb maintainers, please remove
> the "only submit tested applications" restriction
> from the appdb, or at least allow people who know
> what they're doing to get around it.

At least in the past, there were some applications in the database without
test results.  This led to users asking questions about what was wrong, or
reporting them (correctly) as errors and prompting their deletion.

Finding out which applications work with Wine is the only purpose of the
AppDB, and people will lose the overview if we make it a general application
database.  Sure, we have download browsers and links to patches etc., but
that is only supplementary information.

Besides, submitting applications that no one maintains means the data will
become outdated pretty soon.  If people were to expect every application in
the world being in the database, they would also expect the information to be
up to date at all times.

Regards,

Alexander N. Sørnes