Makefiles: Be less verbose when performing make rules by only printing the command being executed and the source and/or target file.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Mar 15 06:14:05 CDT 2007

Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> writes:

> I've also modified tools/makerule to respect the "-s" flag passed into make.
>
> Alexandre suggested on IRC that I always print the destination file,
> but I want to make sure that the technical details of this patch are
> acceptable before making tweaks to the printed commands.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I don't think I'll put it
in. It's going to cause a lot of trouble and portability headaches,
for only a minor cosmetic gain.

This thing really belongs in make itself; it shouldn't be hard to
patch GNU make to have a mode where it only displays the command name
and target instead of the whole command line. Then it would work for
all projects, and wouldn't require adding complexity to the makefiles.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org